1) Create a Game to get to know your class. Choose from one of the many PowerPoint or Notebook templates (As a Social Studies teacher, the first day always included Current Event Jeopardy)
2) Borrow some of these ideas from 14 Interesting Ways to Get to Know Your New Class
3) Watch an inspirational video, can your class make one?
4) Download Edutopia's Back to School Guide which is packed with lots of great ideas for the start of the school year
5) What is your sentence going to be this year? My class did this last year and posted them up on the wall as reminders of our goal for the year.
Two questions that can change your life from Daniel Pink on Vimeo.
6) Borrow some First Day of School Notebook Lessons from the SMART Exchange. There are lot of pre-made and ready to go files for attendance, calender and school routines.